The Real Me…
I’ve been exploring this new phenomenon of A.I.-generated stories and the platforms associated with story writing. We are at the threshold of a new era and sometimes, it looks bleak and strange. Too many authors and people in general, it is something to fear. I assure you it is not. There are plenty of novice authors, along with seasoned veterans, considering using this tool. A.I. is one thing, but the idea of having A.I. draft a story for an author? I find the idea ludicrous but the idea is catching on in use for some authors, and the ‘hustlers’ looking to make a quick buck and it is creating issues.
In February of this year, 2023, Clarksworld, a Science Fiction and Fantasy magazine, had to halt submissions due to a tidal wave of A.I.-generated stories editors were receiving. A percentage of these A.I. stories were plagiarised from well-known authors. Since Clarksworld is a paying market, plenty of non-author ‘hustlers’ tried to scam the system to make a quick buck, and fortunately, they failed. But what’s to stop people from using A.I. stories for profit far into the future? that is the grand question many paying market book and magazine editors are asking.
For an experiment, I toyed around with Chat GPT for this blog post. I used a simple prompt on writing about the positives and negatives of using A.I. story generators. The A.I. generated answer is next.
Positives and Negatives of Using Story generated A.I.-Response by Chat GPT
Artificial intelligence (AI) has been changing the way we live and work for several years now, and it’s not just limited to industries such as healthcare, finance, and manufacturing. With advancements in natural language processing and machine learning, AI is now being used in the creative industry as well. Specifically, authors and writers are turning to AI-generated stories to help them with their craft. In this blog post, we’ll discuss the positive and negative aspects of using AI story generators for writing.
- Saves Time and Effort: Writing a compelling story requires a significant amount of time and effort. AI story generators can help authors save time by providing them with a starting point, helping them to avoid writer’s block, and enabling them to focus on other aspects of the writing process.
- Boosts Creativity: Sometimes, all it takes is a little inspiration to get the creative juices flowing. AI-generated stories can provide authors with unique ideas and perspectives that they may not have thought of otherwise.
- Customizable: AI-generated stories can be customized to meet the specific needs of an author. For example, an author can input certain parameters such as genre, character traits, and plot points to create a story that fits their specific requirements.
- Helps Writers to Learn: AI-generated stories can also serve as a learning tool for authors. By analyzing the language and structure of the generated story, writers can learn how to structure their own writing and create more engaging prose.
- Lack of Originality: While AI story generators can be helpful, they are not capable of creating truly original stories. They rely on pre-existing data sets and algorithms, which means that the generated story may be similar to other stories that have already been written.
- Limited Scope: AI-generated stories are limited to the data sets and algorithms that they are trained on. This means that they may not be able to generate stories outside of their programming, which can be limiting for writers who are looking to create something truly unique.
- Lack of Emotional Depth: One of the primary criticisms of AI-generated stories is their lack of emotional depth. While they can generate a plot and characters, they may not be able to create the emotional connections that readers crave.
- Overreliance: Finally, authors who rely too heavily on AI story generators may become overly dependent on the technology, which can stifle their own creativity and voice.
AI-generated stories have both positive and negative aspects when it comes to their use in the writing industry. While they can save time and boost creativity, they may also lack originality and emotional depth. Ultimately, authors should approach AI-generated stories as a tool, rather than a replacement for their own creativity and voice. By using AI story generators in combination with their own writing skills, authors can create compelling stories that are truly unique.
The Real Me…
As interesting as it sounds, there are errors and I noted my SEO and readability scores were in the toilet. I’m guessing that A.I. has yet to figure out how to link up to the web and sort out these aspects.
On the negative side of using A.I., one could add a fifth negative to the mix. There are people who will use the A.I. system in an attempt to scam the publishing world out of money that should go to authors who genuinely write a story from their hearts and head.
Scammers are jumping on board the ‘money-scam’ train and trying to run ram-shod of the publishing system in an attempt to get rich quickly. Will this change in the future? I can see this happening to prevent people from taking advantage of the system of publishing. Although, I believe it is a matter of time before someone legitimately publishes a best-seller using an A.I. story generator. I
A.I. Voice…a troubling trend or Godsend?
The topic of this section is the use of A.I. voice. In some ways, it is connected to the use of A.I. story generators. It seems everything lately connected to A.I. has grown since the middle of last year- or when I discovered it as a possible tool to help me with my own stories.
I can’t seem to get into the idea of using the A.I. story generators though. The art aspect and voice? I can find legitimate uses for it. For some years, I had a stack of stories that I wanted to get back out into the mainstream publishing circuit. Unfortunately, readers’ tastes and attention spans have changed over the course of several decades.
The stories I had pretty much faded into obscurity. I wanted to offer something a little different though. I utilized using an A.I. generated voice to actually ‘read’ my story. The results I posted on my page ‘From the Vaults‘. My reasons were two-fold. One was bringing back some of my old material from the dark shadows of time and also presenting the stories to visually impaired persons who had trouble reading anymore due to illness or blindness.
I started with one story, ‘My Love‘ which people seem to mention from time to time. Even though it is a Fan-Fiction piece, it still gets a mention in some circles…or so it seems anyway. Although the voice I chose was fairly decent, I add that A.I. seemed to have trouble with some of the words and their meaning, or emphasis. Of course, I’m still learning to utilize this tool and will probably go back and redo the voice once A.I. becomes a little more proficient.
Personally, I can see a use for this tool and as time goes on, I’ll explore it a little more in-depth. I believe it can be a useful tool and this aspect of A.I. can only improve over time.
Sources and Further Reading
- Sci-fi publisher Clarkesworld halts pitches amid deluge of AI-generated stories, The Guardian, Feb, 2023
- AI-generated fiction is flooding literary magazines — but not fooling anyone, The Verge, Feb, 2023
- AI-Generated E-Books Flood The Market, Forbes Middle East, YouTube Video,
- AI Generated Books are Flooding Amazon Kindle Store, ODSC
- Is Amazon Flooded with Low-Quality AI-Generated Books? Why It’s Time for a Change, IndiaTimes.com